The Wheaton Blog
Road Trip: Charlotte, North Carolina
First Stop: Charlotte
Affectionately known as the Queen City, the International Gateway to the South and the Hornet’s Nest, Charlotte, North Carolina is the first stop on Road Trip: Wheaton World Wide Moving. Located on the border of North and South Carolina, Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in America due in large part to its reputation as a national and international financial center. Charlotte has been in the national spotlight in recent years most memorably in its appearance as the host site for the 2012 Democratic National Convention and as the headquarters for NASCAR Racing.
Whatever it is about Charlotte that brings hordes of people to the city every year – whether it’s for business trips, vacations, or as a relocation destination – the city has plenty to offer. With a population of over 750,000 people (and growing rapidly!), Charlotte has a host of cultural institutions, entertainment centers, fine dining and restaurants, and inventive public transit systems. Let us (with the help of Charlotte, NC Travel and Tourism) convince you that Charlotte should be your destination – and Wheaton has Charlotte moving companies that can get you there!
Who doesn’t like to eat? Every good road trip needs good food, and lucky for us, Charlotte is bursting with unique and flavorful choices.
- South 21 Drive-in: Need your drive-in fix? If so, you can’t pass this restaurant up. Featured on Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, South 21 Drive-in prides itself on its burgers, onion rings and sweet tea. Typical southern fare such as barbeque is also a staple at this divey Charlotte haunt.
- Good Food On Montford: James Beard Semi-Finalist restaurant Good Food has just what its name says – good food. Its steamed buns are a favorite to restaurant-goers as are the mussels. If you’re looking for more of a refined dinner, then this is your place.
- Midwood Smokehouse: You can’t visit North Carolina without ingesting some serious barbeque. There are tons of BBQ joints in the Charlotte area, but a favorite of the locals is Midwood Smokehouse. With barbeque sandwiches, barbeque plates and even barbeque queso, there’s no way you can visit this restaurant and not get your fix of BBQ!
Things to do
- Center City: Charlotte has a bustling downtown area, complete with over a mile of cultural institutions, tons of restaurants, nightlife and more, this is one spot you can’t miss in the Crown Town.
- Sports: This city has a lot in terms of sports. If football is your thing, then check out a Carolina Panthers game at the beautiful Bank of America Stadium. You could also catch an NBA game featuring the Charlotte Hornets, watch some pucks fly at a Charlotte Checkers hockey game, or zoom around the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- U.S. National Whitewater Center: If outdoor activities and adventures are your ideas of a great time, then you can’t miss the National Whitewater Center. It’s home to the world’s largest, man-made whitewater river complete with kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, zip lines and more.
Have we convinced you that Charlotte could be your future home? If so, there are three Wheaton full service moving companies who are in the Charlotte area and are capable of helping you out with your cross-country move:
- Charlotte Moving Company 1: A.V. Dedmon Trucking, Inc in Shelby, North Carolina
- Charlotte Moving Company 2: Movemart Relocation, Inc. in Columbia, South Carolina
- Charlotte Moving Company 3: Mark 1 Moving & Storage, Inc. in Greenville, South Carolina
Compared with the National Average, living in Charlotte is slightly below average in terms of cost.
Speak Your Mind
What are your thoughts on Charlotte? Did we miss your favorite part? Would you move here if you had the opportunity? Let us know below in our comments, Tweet us or give us your opinion on Facebook. Stay tuned until next week when we visit our next destination!