The Wheaton Blog
Any big task can be daunting before you begin, and moving is such a large task that it can seem to be a monster to tackle. However, you know what they say about eating an elephant: you can do it, one bite at a time! Use our checklist below to get one piece of your move accomplished at a time so you can breathe easy, knowing everything will get done.
8–12 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- If you own your home, contact your real estate agent to begin the selling process.
- Establish your preferred moving dates.
- Research your new community by using Wheaton’s online moving tools.
- Compare school districts
- Obtain free city reports
- Use our salary and mortgage calculators to compare
- Set up a house-hunting trip to your new city.
- Find out if your employer will be paying for the move, or will be providing you with a lump sum or a direct reimbursement.
- Have a garage sale or donate goods you do not want to move. This will help you save costs on the move.
4-8 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Contact your local Wheaton agent to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate.
- Purchase your new home; arrange financing; establish close dates.
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your move.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
- Check with your school on transferring your children’s school records.
- Research driver’s license requirements for the state you are moving to.
- Find out from the IRS or your accountant if moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your insurance needs for your new home.
- Select a new bank in your new city.
- Begin to organize your medical and dental records.
3 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Make a decision on whether you will pack your own cartons or if you’d like to utilize Wheaton professional packing service.
- Begin the packing process if you are doing it yourself.
- Compile all personal records.
- Change your address on credit cards, magazine subscriptions.
- If you have children, arrange for them to be at a babysitter during loading day.
- Arrange to have your utilities disconnected after your move-out day.
- Arrange to connect your utilities the day before your scheduled move-in day.
2 WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean your home and clear basement and attics.
- Cancel all current delivery services such as newspapers.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to your new local pharmacy.
- Clear out your safety deposit box. Transfer bank accounts.
- Be sure that you have packed everything in advance.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower, and other power tools if they are to be moved.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Confirm your travel arrangements for your family.
- Provide contact phone numbers for your Wheaton agent so that you are accessible during your move.
- Empty and clean your refrigerator and freezer, clean your stove, etc.
- Only use those household items that you’ll need, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
- Review all paperwork with your Wheaton driver.
- Be available to check off inventory of all items moving.
- Once moving van is loaded, double check that nothing was left behind in closets, basement, attic, cabinets, drawers, etc.
- Make sure your children and pets are not at home so that they do not get in the way of the movers.
- Make sure you are at your new home to meet the movers to accept the delivery and finish financial obligation
- Inspect your items as the movers unload the truck by checking it off of your inventory form.
- If any item is damaged, make sure to indicate this on the form.
- Finally, unpack and get settled in to your new home.